[Asterisk-Users] G729 vs. gsm

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sat May 28 13:17:36 MST 2005

On Saturday 28 May 2005 00:53, Tim Pushor wrote:
> Its obvious that Steve never looses, even when he's wrong, so arguing
> about it to him won't get anywhere.

It's obvious to anyone who's been doing this for any amount of time that he's
not wrong here.  But hey -- don't let reality get in the way of your
statements.

> As for g729, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality.

As am I.  It's great for a single voice in a relatively quiet environment.
That's exactly what it was *designed* for and, as Steve points out, it works
very well for its intended purpose.

> I don't care about what anyone else says, I am impressed with g729 and
> if it weren't for 1) the cost of transcoding and 2) the lack of g729 on
> FreeBSD I'd be using it more.

I use it too.  Hell I bet Steve uses it where he needs it.  Nobody said it was
crap.

-A.