[Asterisk-Users] G729 vs. gsm

Rusty Shackleford john97 at flatline.com
Sat May 28 09:34:51 MST 2005

Different, yes, but to what degree is an entirely subjective judgement.
Ergo, your judgement of "...very obviously different..." is valid only
for you.

> > Please do not get me wrong that G711u sounds better through the
PSTN.
> > Thats a given! You can't convert G729 up and down to G711 and expect

> > the sound quality to be there.

> This is meaningless drivel.

Hardly. Each conversion introduces the equivalent of "gen loss". Two
such conversions are easily encountered, especially when dealing with a
third-party network, and will produce (in MY subjective opinion)
positively crappy sound.

> Since it doesn't correlate with the impression of even the
> developers of
> G.729, it *is* bad information. Realistic people know G.729 will be
> worse. What they need is meaningful guidance as to just how much.

Yes, and your guidance is oh-so-meaningful.
<roll eyes>

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.