[Asterisk-Users] Polycom phones, UNREACHABLE

Michael George george at mutualdata.com
Fri May 27 20:26:35 MST 2005

I'm having some trouble with Polycom Soundpoint phones.  I have had good luck
deploying them on a local network, but now I've tried putting some in place
which access their * server across the network.

The * server is on a public IP and the polycoms are behind a NAT on a cable
modem broadband connection.

Every so often I get:
May 27 16:12:08 NOTICE[29728]: Peer 'Polycom1' is now UNREACHABLE!
May 27 16:31:54 NOTICE[29728]: Peer 'Polycom1' is now REACHABLE!

(Sometimes the first message says "TOO LAGGED"...)

And as you can see these messages are quite a ways apart, not just a few
seconds.

I have read the archives and found some clues that decreased the frequency of
the problem, but have not eliminated it.  My configuration for the phones in
sip.conf is:

defaultexpirey=3600	; this is required by our VoIP provider rather than 120

[Polycom_1]
username=Polycom1
secret=xxxx
type=friend
canreinvite=no			; specifically recommended in archives
nat=yes					; phone is behind a NAT
qualify=yes				; I suspected this might help...
host=dynamic
dtmfmode=rfc2833
context=internal
disallow=all
allow=ulaw

In the sip.cfg file for the phone on it's FTP server, I have set:
-server.1.address to the public address of the server
-voIpProt.SIP.outboundProxy.address to the public address of the server
-nat.ip is not set, as the description doesn't make it look like I want to
	mess with it...
-there are other possible settings in that file that might be helpful, but
	the descriptions are a bit thin in the manual...

I want to deploy more of these phones, but if they are ducking off the server
every so often, that makes them unreliable.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

I think if I remove "qualify=yes" from sip.conf it will eliminate the warnings
in the log, but I think the phone will still be unreachable for that time
period and the problem is just less evident...

Thanks!

--
-M

There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
	Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.