[Asterisk-Users] G729 vs. gsm

Michael D Schelin mike at shelcomm.com
Fri May 27 12:07:27 MST 2005

Steve, you should really test the Codec and have G729 running as a pure
IP to IP call you can not hear the difference on good networks! Please
do not get me wrong that G711u sounds better through the PSTN.  Thats a
given! You can't convert G729 up and down to G711 and expect the sound
quality to be there. I'm a carrier and have tested G711 and G729 and
have found that they both sound great through dedicated hardware.
Asterisk's colors the G729 a little. Also my hearing is fine. Please do
not put down the comments of others in this forum. I'm stating my
comments from my real world trials and this is not bad information. The
man must compare codecs on his own and see what works for him. For me
we've stuck with G711u because it's best through the PSTN. If I was
running a pure IP to IP system I would use G729, Iblc, or GSM.

Mike