Fwd: [Asterisk-Users] Newbie here. Tips on setting up 100 phones wanted.

brandt Milczewski motobrandtlists at gmail.com
Fri May 27 11:42:53 MST 2005

So in order to answer the background and backbone questions here is
the system as it is. I hope this isn't too much for the list but I'll
post it in response to a few inquiries.

The current system is quite interesting.
We have an office in a town that is about 50 miles from
the ski area. The ski area is powered 100% of of generators and the
telephone access and internet access goes from the Office in town out
a private T1 to a town about 80 miles down another highway and then we
shoot a 5Mb microwave signal about 6 miles accross no mans land up to
the ski area, (that oddly enough is on it's own highway with no
utilities). From the top of the mountain I ran the signal over T1 to
the Upper Ski lodge. From there I use an HDSL bridge about 3 miles
down the hill to the lower lodge. Both lodges have a small size LAN
about 25 computers. I also run some ethernet extender over copper to a
couple other buildings and some WAP's these are all inside the
employee lodge and one of the main day lodges.

As you can see it is a very unique and quite complex system as is. But
the LAN is quite extensive and functions very well. As you can guess from
the description the weak link is the Microwave from the top of the ski area
down to the town with internet access. But that is very reliable and the
snowfall we get, which is immense, hasn't been a problem for it yet.

As for my technical background I build and admin servers and desktops
in FreeBSD, Windows, and OSX. I learned routing and networking as
needed for the job and look at this project as just more learning. And
I'm VERY excited that I found an active community to query.

Thanks again I hope that helps tell the story and background a bit more.

-brandt