[Asterisk-Users] Echo with two IP phones through Asterisk using SIP

Davin O'Neill doneill at mitre.org
Thu May 26 05:49:07 MST 2005

I have Asterisk running on my LAN with softphone clients (SJPhone) and Cisco
7940/60s, all using SIP.  I also have a few remote sites connecting to my
Asterisk server.  I am getting an echo back of my voice when talking with
one particular site.  The caller does not hear an echo on their end.  All
calls on the LAN or to other sites do not produce an echo.  When the caller
places his SJPhone on mute there is no echo.  The caller is using a standard
PC headset and not a speakerphone.  I've tried turning on echocancel and
echotraining in the Zapata configuration, but it had no effect.

The website below states that  two IP phones going through Asterisk should
not result in a noticeable echo, instead this is more common when connecting
to PSTN lines. The echo is about 500ms, faint but distracting.  Any

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+Echo+Avoidance

Thanks!