[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Versions

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu May 26 00:36:06 MST 2005

Waldo Rubinstein wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Assuming 1.0.7 is the latest stable version, how/where can I find out
> the different CVS revisions available and a description of what has
> been patched/updated in each CVS revision so I can decide whether to
> leave my 1.0.7 installation as is, or if I need (or think I need) to
> patch it with a CVS version?

I use tortoise in Windows. It's a very nice user interface to
CVS and you can easily see revision history, changes and all information
there is to get about the CVS tree. And it's open source!

If you want to follow the stream of updates in both the development
source code base and the release version, then subscribe to the
asterisk-cvs mailing list.

Please also note that the release CVS (v1_0) is not to be considered
production ready, the tar.gz files are the *real* releases, the ones
that are sometimes branded as "stable". The maintainers of the release
CVS sometimes has to include patches for testing in the source code but
will not produce a new version in a tar.gz until they consider it tested
and ready for release. Basing a production server on the CVS with daily
updates is a bit more risky than following the .tar.gz releases.

However, it is much less risky than using the development source, also
named v1.1dev.

/Olle