[Asterisk-Users] Default caller ID

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed May 25 15:29:17 MST 2005

Hi,

I've been looking at the problem of the default caller ID.  When a call
comes in with no CID or witheld it's always set to 'asterisk' which is
what the phone displays.  I've been looking for an option to change that.

The only place I can find is DEFAULT_CALLERID in chan_sip.c.  This is
set by the 'callerid' option in the sip.conf.

However the documentation states that this overides outgoing caller ID
and I don't want to set that (OTOH the code implies it's only a default
- chan_sip.c line 4163, plus the variable name is default_callerid).

The CDR records a blank callerid from the zap channel, so it's not being
set to 'asterisk' there - it does appear to be in the sip code that it's
being munged.  I'd rather it stayed blank & let the phone handle it or
say something meaningful 'Unavailable','Withheld', etc.

Tony