[Asterisk-Users] Hum on the Sipura-841

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Wed May 25 07:52:38 MST 2005

Joel Duffield wrote:

>Has anyone had problems with a small electrical type of hum on the 841's handset. It is there on all of the three phones I bought,

Yes, though I would not call it hum, somewhat more like a small amount
of data hash.
Other than that, the sound quality of the phone through the handset is
really good.

> and also do the sound like the microphone is cheap and kind of a high pitched talking into a can.

On mine the speakerphone is unusable.
The designer chose to put the mike on the BOTTOM, rather than the front,
and used a very small hole as well. Enlarging the hole doesn't seem to
really help,. Output to the distant end can hardly be heard.

>I can live with these as long as I know that this is what the phones are like and I don't have duds.

Not to mention the display is small and not backlit. Might as well not
be there.
All the phones in the under 100 dollar range have defects, but I think
the BT100 is probably the best value for the dollar.
Of course, you could spend 300 bucks for some of the better names. They
also have some "gotchas"
IMO, SIP phones have a long way to go to match even fairly cheap  hybrid
phones and their systems.

John Novack