[Asterisk-Users] Is SKYPE a threat orshould wedo something(together)

Johan Akerstrom Johan.Akerstrom at telamon.co.uk
Wed May 25 04:07:44 MST 2005

IMHO!

I just see a skype channel as something good for asterisk.

Skype has broad coverage.
I can't imagine that skype wouldn't be interested in selling corporate accounts "skype trunk lines".

Imagine having unlimited or X amount of continious calls coming in on SkypeIN and out on SkypeOUT from Asterisk.
Internal Phones would all talk IAX or SIP to asterisk and use all PBX features of Asterisk. Asterisk could do lowest cost routing for internal to external calls through dundi or skype lookups (or enum later on) or through your PSTN hardware.

Skype would really benefit from Asterisk as a full blown Corporate VoIP platform.
Asterisk would really benefit from Skype through it's broad coverage and it's fairly cheap prices.

Aren't we all using Asterisk because of it's feature not just because it can "transport" our calls?

Johan Akerstrom
Systems Developer
Telamon Systems Ltd

t: +44 (0)870 607 4747