[Asterisk-Users] G729 codec

Adam Hart adam at teragen.com.au
Tue May 24 23:35:01 MST 2005

Ivan Meic (Vox Mundi) wrote:
>>Actually G.729A is a reduced complexity version, and G.729B is a version
>>with silence suppression. The data rate while sending voice is exactly
>>the same, although the quality of G.729B should be a little higher.
>>However the average rate for B can be lower if the silence suppression
>>is used. Right now Asterisk doesn't make use of that silence
>>suppression, so it makes not difference.
>

> Steve,
>
> Any Cisco gateway support two G.729 variants.
> They call them g729r8 and g729br8.
> So I guess that Cisco never implemented a reduced complexity version ?
> Also as far as I understand there are 3 G.729 variants generaly used.
> The first version (G.729), Annex A and Annex B.
> Are they all compatible with each others ?
>
> Ivan

Actually, I believe Cisco uses G.729A, as they use TI chips.

The difference between G.729 and G.729A is Annex A spends less time
looking for the optimal representation of the voice. G.729 and G.729A
are completely compatible. Annex B adds silence suppression. I believe
you need to support and negotiate annex B on both ends if you want to
use it. I'm against silence suppression but that's just me. Annex C is
the floating point version and obviously completely compatiable as well

-Adam