[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk processes

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Tue May 24 12:19:00 MST 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 12:31:09PM +0200, daren pereira wrote:
> Hello
>
> I was wondering why the asterisk processes where growing, from one
> process at launch time to more than twenty after some weeks....

And all of them happen to use exactly the same ammount of memory? They
are simply different threads of thesame process.

> and
> I was wondering if all resources won't be eated at last.... (with 2%
> of memory by process make the sum....)

As they are threads, they share all of their memory.

Basically for Linux threads are simply a group of processes with exactly
the same memory map: They use the same memory. Thus you can't simply sum
memory.

And generally the memory usage of a group of processes is normally lower
than the sum of each process's memory usage, because processes do share
memory. Normally this is not much: the code sections of libraries. But
a local X server always appears to consume much memory that is actually
allocated by clients and shared with the server.