[Asterisk-Users] Silence supression

Bjorn Ove Kristiansen bok2 at online.no
Tue May 24 03:51:47 MST 2005

Hello all!

First of all, this is my first post to the list. I've tried to find my
answers in the forums and by Googling , but no luck. My apologies if this
question has been answered before.

I've set up an Asterisk box with four local SIP users. The Asterisk box uses
a SIP provider for placing external calls and receiving incoming calls as
well. In other words, there's no PSTN or ISDN lines attached to the box.
Codec in use is G.711 alaw.

I've set up a queue with music-on-hold etc. Sound files are the standard moh
mp3s. When I call the queue from local sip clients everything works fine, I
hear the music and all seems well. However, if I call from a landline to the
asterisk box through the SIP-provider, I can only hear the music whenever I
am talking to myself, making some noise etc.

I figure it has something to do with silence suppression, but wherever I
search I only find information on how to disable this on SIP clients. Since
this is a problem that arises somewhere between the SIP provider and the
asterisk box, I am lost. Is there any way to get around this in the asterisk
configuration, or is it simply that the SIP provider itself is refusing to
transmit comfort noice?

Regards,

Bjorn