[Asterisk-Users] Looking for people to test calls

Anton Krall akrall-lists at intruder.com.mx
Mon May 23 01:14:53 MST 2005

I think there is a misconception here but then again I might be wrong.

As far as I know, COFETEL, the Mexican regulatory entity for
telecommunications prohibits companies from selling voip LD services in
Mexico without the appropiate licenses. But, nothing states that people in
Mexico can buy directly from US companies the service, for example, signup
for livevoip services, etc.

What this means is that livevoip or any other company for that fact, cant
establish themselves in Mexico and sell their services but it never states
that if you live in Mexico, cant actually go to their website and signup for
an account and pay for the LD usage yourself.

To me, this is one of those arguments where globalization comes into the
formula. Mexican authorities may prohibit companies from incursioning into
Mexico but they cant prohibit Mexicans into siging up with them via Web to
their US or any other country websites and use the services.

This reminds me of the times, about 15 or so years ago, when you didn't see
any US merchandise in Mexico and people that use to bring stuff over the
border and sold it here were considered criminals because they sold what We
used to call "falluca". But that didn't mean you could go to the States and
bring back stuff for your home or personal use. It just meant you couldn't
sell them here.

Anyways, it just my $0.02 and I could be wrong.

AK