[Asterisk-Users] MusicOnHold Loudness/Distortion

Kevin Bockman ml at neoninternet.com
Sun May 22 15:17:22 MST 2005

> For whatever reason, the music on hold is extremely distorted and loud.
> It didn't used to be this way and I haven't changed anything, yet it
> persists. This is on all the channels we use (SIP, IAX2, Zap, ALSA). Can
> anyone help with this, or has anyone seen this? The mp3s play fine on
> any computer and haven't changed since they did work.
> Those wishing to hear for themselves, feel free to call extension 8800
> at the number/addresses below.
>
> Bryce Chidester

It depends on what software you use for MOH.  mpg123 is the default.

Check the switches used by mpg123 and see if there is an option to lower
the volume and then change it in musiconhold.conf.  If I understand it
correctly, the -g option is what you want.

I use madplay.  It has an option to lower the volume.

Kevin