[Asterisk-Users] Boosting Shared Internet Bandwidth for Asterisk

Matt Riddell matt.riddell at sineapps.com
Sat May 21 21:06:32 MST 2005

Robert Goodyear wrote:
> On May 20, 2005, at 8:11 AM, chawki hammoud wrote:
>> --- Andrew Kohlsmith <akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com>
>> wrote:
>>> http://www.mixdown.ca/~andrew/dump/rc.tc.  It's what
>> Could you please tell me where and how to install it
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> GOOGLE. LEARN. DEPLOY.
>
> You need a primer in IP networking before you endeavor to play with
> packet shaping or you'll be stabbing in the dark. You also need to
> ascertain whether or not it will be a complete waste of time if/when
> your provider completely ingores QoS.

Assuming your provider completely ignores QOS, it is still not a
complete waste of time.

If for example you have 5 people on the LAN, 4 uploading files to a
remote server and 1 trying to make a phone call.

If you were to put the packets for the uploads into say bin 3 and Voip
into bin 1, your customers would definitely notice an increase in quality.

Agreed that's it's not going to work for inbound if your provider
ignores it, but you still control outbound (and on asymmetric
connections, outbound usually has the least bandwidth).

--
Cheers,

Matt Riddell