[Asterisk-Users] Affecting overhead with Runlevel?

Robert Goodyear me at jrob.net
Sat May 21 14:23:50 MST 2005

On May 21, 2005, at 10:29 AM, Johnathan Corgan wrote:

> Robert Goodyear wrote:
>
>> So: knowing that the X11 window GUI is a resource hog, is it
>> appropriate to use the GUI to install and configure various
>> components, then set RUNLEVEL to 3 once all is nicely set up and
>> running cleanly? Would this give the same effect as doing a minimal
>> install or is the mere presence of the installed (yet not inited?)
>> packages too heavy?
>
> That would work fine.  You could still log in to the console and run
> the Asterisk console (asterisk -R) to watch things work, which is
> instructive.

Noted. To clarify, will dropping back to runlevel 3 still ensure a
smaller set of processes that would be as non-intrusive as if I had
installed Linux with console/command line support only or would there
still be stuff hanging around that's inextricably there because I had
_at one time_ installed and run the GUI?

thx
/rg