[Asterisk-Users] Affecting overhead with Runlevel?

Robert Goodyear me at jrob.net
Sat May 21 09:59:34 MST 2005

This is a _very_ green question, but I am just beginning to explore and
learn Linux. Have to admit I avoided it for years due to other
obligations but discovering Asterisk has forced my hand.

So: knowing that the X11 window GUI is a resource hog, is it
appropriate to use the GUI to install and configure various components,
then set RUNLEVEL to 3 once all is nicely set up and running cleanly?
Would this give the same effect as doing a minimal install or is the
mere presence of the installed (yet not inited?) packages too heavy?

Corollary: if Asterisk is running as ROOT, is there any benefit to
booting at RUNLEVEL 1 to prune the overhead down even further? Or is
that really only for debugging or administrative issues?

Thanks,
/rg