[Asterisk-Users] Help Understanding ISDN Channels

Francisco A. Lozano asterisk at flozano.com
Sat May 21 03:28:42 MST 2005

The two-channel ISDN is called Basic Rate ISDN, and it's a smaller cheaper
version of the Primary Rate ISDN (PRI).

With a BRI, you have two B-Channel (each 64kbps) and one D-Channel (16kbps).
It's very common in Germany, Spain and other european countries, as reliable
low-cost low-bandwidth data solution or as a replacement for two POTS lines
with much better voice quality and added services. You can even get a DSL
over a BRI line...

I didn't know you could add more channels to a BRI... maybe what they
offered you is just adding more BRI ISDNs, and not adding more channels to
your BRI. Or maybe they're offering you a PRI with only two channels active
and they activate it on-demand...