[Asterisk-Users] which cvs versions are being used in production systems?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri May 20 15:10:51 MST 2005

> What cvs versions are people using in a production environment?
> Is there a good way to choose a cvs version, like maybe one right
> before a major change?  Are there any plans on having a "testing"
> branch that is not as stable as stable, but not as bleeding edge as
> head?  I'm thinking of compiling a list of specific cvs versions that
> are being successfully deployed, would this be something that
> others would find useful?

I use cvs-head exclusively, but I go through a rather professional
eval/test (in a psuedo-non-production test system) before committing
to it. Once comfortable with it, its promoted to production locally.

I also rename the /usr/src/zaptel - libpri - asterisk directories
and keep them for weeks as a realistic means of backout if needed.
I tend not to upgrade more then about once every few weeks, and
usually because there is something of interest that was incorporated.

If you watch the asterisk-cvs list (and -dev) postings, you can get
a pretty good feel when cvs-head is going to be rather stable. And,
if you think about who is sponsoring the changes to cvs-head, you
know the developers are going to fix most anything that impacts them
in the short run (no negative thoughts intended).

I don't see any reason to change from that approach. Since I don't
use 60% of the new stuff rolling out right now, its pretty easy to
test that stuff that matters.