[Asterisk-Users] Static on TDM Zaptel FXO

Dave Cotton dcotton at linuxautrement.com
Thu May 19 04:43:07 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 06:15 -0600, Rich Adamson wrote:

> Those numbers don't sound right. In the US, many of the telcos have
> the same type of static information available (at least within their
> internal records), but the numbers are intended to be used by non-
> technical telco types to determine whether a customer's location can
> reasonably expect to support dsl.
>
> If the 1355 meters is correct, the cable loss should be more like
> about 4db (give or take a little based upon exactly what gauge of
> copper is actually used to serve your location).
>
> My guess is the 18db number is only there to suggest some sort of
> upper 'limit' for adsl.
>
> If that guess is correct, then I'd expect settings somewhere close
> to rxgain=3 and txgain=0 might be a reasonable starting point for
> zapata.conf parameters.

Interestingly I've found another site that I can get the data for any
number in France, the data is supposed to come from France Telecom's own
database. Even if you give an ISDN number it still reports the figures
but, of course, says the line is not suitable for ADSL.

--
Dave Cotton <dcotton at linuxautrement.com>