[Asterisk-Users] Static on TDM Zaptel FXO

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed May 18 14:11:19 MST 2005

Greg,

The rxgain and txgain settings are essentially used to address the
pstn cable loss between your asterisk box and the central office.
If you were located right next to the central office, then settings
around 0.0 might work well. The further away you are from the central
office the greater the gain number needed to compensate for that loss.

The negative side of that is that if the gain settings are too high,
you're likely to have echo on every call. So, start with something
like rxgain=3.0 and txgain=3.0 and place a test call. If echo, drop
both settings down by 3 (rxgain=0.0 & txgain=0.0) and repeat.

Each time you change those settings in zapata.conf, you will need to
stop asterisk and restart it. A reload won't change the settings.

FWIW, I'm 7db from my central office and am using rxgain=5.0 and
txgain=1.0 for now.