[Asterisk-Users] SIP/nat situation

Pizco Dominguez pizco at guadawireless.org
Wed May 18 05:22:37 MST 2005

Hi.

We are trying to set up asterisk to service a wireless community in our
town.

We have about 30/40 wireless working nodes each one with a 10.34.x.x/24
subnet for users. Each one of these addresses can potentially have a
192.168.x.x/x subnet.

On top, the wireless nodes, themselves, are linked in 172.16.x.x/x
subnets.

On top of the top, there is internet and cool things for people, like
iptel, fwd, etc.

If there is SIP paradise, our set up is most definitely nearer to hell,
regarding nat, because no one knows which kind of address the asterisk
client is going to come up with.

The more I fiddle with asterisk and read this list, the bigger my doubts
about the possibility of making asterisk (SIP) work for most of us (it
already works for some).

A friend suggested that maybe putting up one or two asterisk boxes to
work and using SER in strategically choosen nodes we could get away with it.

I'm having a look at SER and think that maybe it could work for us, but
wanted to check with some other people before diving into the unknown.

Answers like "Give it a try",  "Don't even think of it" or "Better back
to tam-tam and smoke signalling" are wellcome.

Thanks for your time.

--
Pizco Dominguez

GPGKEY:		gpg --keyserver pgp.rediris.es --recv-key 8DE37A4D
FINGERPRINT:	85CB 4323 F322 5837 EDB5  2033 6FB2 C326 8DE3 7A4D