[Asterisk-Users] 2 minutes pause before ring on H323 channel

John Daragon john at argv.co.uk
Wed May 18 00:52:37 MST 2005

Peter Valkov wrote:

>>John Daragon wrote:

>>>Peter, hi;
>>>
>>>I haven't looked at the openh323 code, and I might not get time to...
>>>but in my limited experience, 60 second delays are almost always DNS
>>>timeouts.
>>>

>>Yep - down in openh323/src/transports.cxx there's a method
>>H323TransportAddress::GetIpAndPorts() which is called (eventually) by
>>MakeCallLocked().  This in turn calls GetPortByService() and
>>GetHostByAddress().
>>
>>My guess is that the 60 second wait is caused by a request to a DNS
>>server that is never honoured.
>>
>>Of course, I've been wrong before...
>>

>It is definitely DNS problem. The strange thing is that from command line
>everything works just fine. I can perform DNS and reverse DNS lookup without
>problem.
>
>Here follows my brutal workaround.
>
>In file pwlib/include/ptbuildopts.h is defined P_DNS 1 I changed it to P_DNS
>0 ... after that recompiled pwlib openh323 and chan_h323 ... make install
>from asterisk home dir ... and voila ... no more 60 or (120) seconds delays.
>
>I suppose that this approach is quite graceless... because in this way
>entire openh323 DNS resolver is disabled... but this is the only way I
>managed to get it working
>
>I'm still looking for proper solution of the problem... so any help or
>advice will be appreciated

Wow, that *is* brutal.  Still, at least you're working for the moment...
And another data point for the "60 seconds is *always* DNS rule " !   I
don't have  h.323 installed here, so I'm of limited utility for
testing.  What I would do, I think,  is to perform an ethereal trace on
requests to port 53.  This is simple and will tell you whether the
problem is inside or outside the asterisk machine.

As DNS appears to be working otherwise, I'll have a look at the h.323
code again if I get the time today, just in case there's something
obvious going on.

Oh, and would it be possible for you to post your resolv.conf ?

jd