[Asterisk-Users] OT: Multi-Format Sound Conversion Utility (and NOT sox, etc)

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Tue May 17 22:51:35 MST 2005

Hello everyone,

	In working with Asterisk on FPU starved hardware like the Soekris
Net4801, it has become clear that it would be very nice to have the
standard Allison sounds that are distributed with Asterisk in multiple
formats.  With AstLinux taking 27mb, that leaves a lot of space on a
256mb CF card for sound files!

	However, the last thing that I want to do is convert from one lossy
compression format (gsm) to another (g729, for instance).  GSM sounds
muddy enough to some people without me messing with it...  Thankfully,
one of my associates was willing to hire Allison to re-record the 300+
audio prompts present in sounds.txt.  I now have those files in their
full WAV glory.

	Now all I need to do is find a utility that meets the following
characteristics:

1) Needs to be able to write out to my target formats:

gsm, ilbc, g729, g726, mu-law, a-law, maybe g723

2) It should be fairly easy to make it scriptable (or be scriptable).

3) It should be one utility that supports all of these formats (for
improved consistency in output files).

4) It would be great if it were free/OSS, but this project is very
important to me so I would be willing to pay...

	Other than that, Linux, Windows, I don't really care.  I just need to
get the job done.  Is anyone aware of such a piece of software?

	I understand that it may in fact be possible for Asterisk to do this
for me.  I am certainly willing to hear suggestions on how to do that!

P.S. - Yes, the resulting converted files will be made available to the
community.  Probably for a small fee ($10) to cover the cost of
bandwidth, Allison, etc.  More on that when I actually can get this
project moving forward...

Thanks everyone!

--
Kristian Kielhofner