[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Fax

Tue May 17 19:13:08 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 10:12 -0700, George Pajari wrote:
> Mr.  Rubinstein:
> > I have a very simple setup. I have an asterisk server with a TE110P
> > connected to the PSTN via T1 PRI (Asterisk A). I have another
> > asterisk server with a TDM40B board with 4 FXS ports (Asterisk B)
> > where I have an actual physical fax machine connected to one of these
> > ports. These two machines are in two separate locations connected via
> > a point-to-point T1 circuit. What I wish to do is program a DID on
> > the T1 so that when the call comes into Asterisk A on that DID, it
> > will be routed via IAX2 to Asterisk B, which will in turn patch the
> > call through the FXS port where the fax is connected. Obviously, I
> > also wish to be able to send faxes in a similar opposite direction.
> >
> > Is this possible with Asterisk? Will it work?
>
> Yes. Yes. And totally unrelated to spanDSP and other discussions related
> to turning Asterisk into a fax machine.

Actually, if you are attempting to transfer fax (or modem) signal over
IP, they it may work. The answer is never yes it will work!
It depends on the speed/jitter of your ptp T1, and even if it works
today, it may not work tomorrow. I don't know much about T1's and US
telco options, but could you connect both ends of the ptp T1 to an
asterisk box (TE110) and then have it split into 24 channels. Then
asterisk can dial up 20 channels, and leave 4 channels free for passing
your faxes over a normal T1 PSTN connection rather than trying to do it
as IP...

Regards,
Adam