[Asterisk-Users] Background() problem (with queue(), etc.)

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Tue May 17 11:02:34 MST 2005

On Tue, 17 May 2005, Seb Auriol wrote:

> In fact, this is what I'm doing at the moment on the production system, but
> we've had a complaint because it doesn't start at the beginning for each
> caller. This is pretty important because the file starts with something like
> "Thank you for calling X. We appreciate your patience during this brief
> period..."

There was some talk (possibly with patches) 6-12 months ago about
modifying the queue application to allow it to play sound clips.

Perhaps inspiration can be drawn from the "icd" project, where the
announcements are listed together with instructions on how the list should
be repeated. The list includes position and time announcements as well.

Asterisk already has a syntax that is usable - the zonedata tone
definitions. An announcements definition could be:

 announce=!welcome,15,!position,15,!msg2,30,position,30,msg3,30,position,30,msg4,30

This would play the welcome file, wait 15s, announce the position, wait
15s, play the msg2 file, wait 30s, play msg3, wait 30s, position, wait 30s
play msg4, wait 30, repeast to the second position announcement.

Peter