[Asterisk-Users] Is SKYPE a threat or should we do something (together)

Steve Kennedy steve-asterisk at gbnet.net
Tue May 17 08:47:22 MST 2005

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 10:45:52PM +0800, Ronald Wiplinger wrote:

> Skype is very succesfsfull and get more and more users, ... we can
> ignore them, accept them or do something,...
> My suggestion is that we try to do something, ...
> If we would peer to each other, than we get soon also a great amount of
> users together, and than our service becomes more valuable, ...
> Let's discuss advantages and disadvantages!

Skype is a p2p (i.e. really person to person) protocol. It's proprietry
and quite clever. They are trying to make money with PSTN breakout,
break-in, voicemail and other value-add services.

They use SIP/G.729 for interconnection with PSTN networks to carriers.

Skype will continue growing and will gain a large user base, however if
they have a long term model is as yet unknown as traditional carriers
move to voice over packet. Look at BT in the UK with their 21CN plans,
the PSTN will be switched-off by 2009. It's likely that voice calls (at
least in the UK) will be bundled with line-rental as it will cost more
to bill than transporting packets around.

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd Phone/Fax +44-(0)20 7483 2455
Skype/In callto://stevekennedyuk / UK callto://+442088167166