[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and rfc2833 help

James Bushey jamesbushey at soleocommunications.com
Tue May 17 07:42:42 MST 2005

Hi All,

Im having some trouble getting Asterisk to send DTMF via rfc2833.  The
scenario is this:

For purposes of testing software, I have two applications communicating
with each other via DTMF.  In between the two applications sits an
Asterisk.  The applications require that DTMF be sent via rfc2833,
otherwise they will not understand the DTMF.

The first application (app-a) makes an outbound call to the second
application (app-b) via SIP through the Asterisk instance.  The Asterisk
then fully sets up the SIP call and bridges the two applications.  The
problem is that when DTMF being sent via rfc2833 reaches Asterisk,
asterisk then puts this DTMF in-band and sends it via the RTP stream.
Sending DTMF through the other three legs of the call are just fine.
That is, from app-a to asterisk, and in both directions between asterisk
and app-b, dtmf is sent via rfc2833, its just this one section of the
call that goes in-band.

Heres a simple diagram for clarification:

appa                                                  asterisk
                                        app-b
---------rfc2833---------------------->
---------------rfc2833------------------->
<---------in-band----------------------
<-------------rfc2833---------------------

Also note that I can, and sometimes do, substitute a GrandStream
BudgetTone-100 SIP phone in place of app-a, and the problem persists.

When removing the Asterisk instance from the middle of the call, app-a
is fully able to communicate with app-b via rfc2833.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Let me know if you have any
questions or need some clarifications.

Thanks,
~James

--