[Asterisk-Users] Digium and Asterisk

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Tue May 17 07:38:08 MST 2005

SS7 is a *signaling* standard,  much like SIP, MGCP, H323. It is not
an encoding standard like PCM,g.711, g.729.  Asterisk does not
currently support SS7.  You could buy a SS7 -> SIP (SIP-7) service
from a couple different service providers.  Then you could use
Asterisk to take in your IMT bearer trunks and act as a media
gateway.  The answer to the number of cards you can put in a PC
depends on the codecs you plan using on the PC.  A Dual Xeon 3.2GHz
with 800MHz FSB can handle about 96 g.711 -> g.729 transforms before
it starts to melt.  If you need >96 calls I would recommend you look
into a real media gateway (Lucent TNT, Cisco AS5350) and have
Asterisk act as a MGC and feature server.

-Matt