[Asterisk-Users] Error running Make config on Debian Sarge

Ben Johnson bjohnson_mpc at hotmail.com
Mon May 16 10:53:49 MST 2005

I am running Asterisk 1.0.7 on Debian Sarge RC3.  When I attempt to run
"make config" to create the zaptel boottime script I receive the following

if [ -d /etc/rc.d/init.d ]; then \
        install -D -m 755 zaptel.init /etc/rc.d/init.d/zaptel; \
        chkconfig --add zaptel; \
elif [ -d /etc/init.d ]; then \
        install -D -m 755 zaptel.init /etc/init.d/zaptel; \
        chkconfig --add zaptel; \
fi
/bin/sh: line 1: chkconfig: command not found
make: *** [config] Error 127

Also if I "make config" on asterisk, i get the following

if [ -d /etc/rc.d/init.d ]; then \
        install -m 755 contrib/init.d/rc.redhat.asterisk
/etc/rc.d/init.d/asterisk; \
        /sbin/chkconfig --add asterisk; \
elif [ -d /etc/init.d ]; then \
        install -m 755 init.asterisk /etc/init.d/asterisk; \
fi
install: cannot stat `init.asterisk': No such file or directory
make: *** [config] Error 1

After looking around a bit, it appears that there is a file
/usr/src/asterisk/contrib/init.d/rc.debian.asterisk and
/usr/src/zaptel/zaptel.ini that are supposed to be used for the startup
scripts.  So I copied zaptel.init to /etc/init.d/zaptel and tried running it
to verify proper operation.  When I run the script, I receive

./zaptel: line 12: /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions: No such file or directory

So what can I try next.  Right now I am just typing the commands when the
box is restarted, but I would like to get this resolved so I don't have to.