[Asterisk-Users] NAT and sip issues

Richard Malcolm-Smith rich at ihug.co.nz
Mon May 16 05:06:00 MST 2005

I have an asterisk server behind NAT - no audio on the test external calls I
have tried making so far.

Read http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+SIP+NAT+solutions - No solution
evident from there, sounds like I have case 9. I would have thought that all I
would have to do is port foward and have the external IP on the asterisk server,
which I have done

I have fowared 5060UDP, 8000UDP, and  35000 to 37000 UDP to the internal IP
(192.168.1.115)

I have put 35000 and 37000 into the rtp.conf as the start/end ports

extracts of sip.conf:

externip = 60.234.129.154
localnet = 192.168.1.115
localmask = 255.255.255.0

[88]
type=friend
secret=**********
dtmfmode=rfc2833
nat=yes
host=dynamic
canreinvite=no

Trying with xlite at the other end

Registered ok, can dial both ways, just no audio at all.

In the log of xlite (cant see it at the moment as im not vnc'd in at the moment)
it showed the xlite machines private IP address on some of the transactions that
were logged.

The client has a dynamic IP address so cant really be specified anywhere in the
xlite configuration, I am also not sure on all the different firewall types.

I was under the impression that there was no need to configure any portfowards
at the sip softphone end.

I will hopefully be using xlite or similar from a location with a very locked
down firewall environment. I want to check all works on a normal nat router
before trying it behind the nasty nat/firewall at this location.