[Asterisk-Users] Re: zaptel.conf in /etc not /etc/asterisk - historical reason?

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Mon May 16 04:21:08 MST 2005

In article <eeb77e890505160327dc76ef7 at mail.gmail.com>,
David John Walsh <davidjohnwalsh at gmail.com> wrote:

> One thing gets me, and hopefully someone here can confirm my suspision
> - why is zaptel.conf not with the other asterisk files
>
> (I assume it is because its responsable for bringing up the hardware,
> not strictly part of the asterisk application)

Yes. Zaptel came before Asterisk and is independent of it. It is possible
for other non-Asterisk software to make use of Zaptel, without Asterisk
needing to be present at all.

> Would someone care to confirm my suspision, and if I'm wrong advise me why.
>
> As a follow on to this - if i were to move it somewhere else, is it
> the somthing.c file that  would need to be changed to reflect this
> move.

Don't know, but I have trouble understanding the need to move it.

The only place that it would make sense to move it to would be
/etc/zaptel/zaptel.conf, but since it is a single file, why bother?
It certainly doesn't belong in the /etc/asterisk directory.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield