[Asterisk-Users] knopsterisk

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sun May 15 17:09:31 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 00:33 +0100, Tony Hoyle wrote:
> trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com wrote:
> > does anyone have knopsterisk for download, I assume that because its GPL
> > the creator of that iso cant restrict spreading it.  A friend wanted it
> > to play on a box and the only thing I can find with google is the
> > knopsterisk.com site which wants $10 to get a copy and does not provide
> > (as far as I can tell) any free distribution access which is
> > his/hers/its/them/they/whatever right (being politically correct is
> > hard).
>
> The GPL does allow the creator to charge a redistribution charge... it
> doesn't require free distribution (which would be a bit harsh for some
> projects - bandwidth isn't free, and CDs/Burners certainly aren't).

Thank you for that clarification, I think that is what I meant when I
said it was their right to charge.

> The CD may contain items of proprietary software - until recently SuSE
> was like this, and Redhat RHEL still is.  In that case you can
> redistribute most of the contents of the CD but not the CD itself (ie.
> not a working copy, especially if the proprietary part is the
> installer).  In that case your option is to strip the GPL parts and
> build a new distribution, wait for someone to do the same, or pay for a
> copy.

Why I was asking if anyone had it and if they did if they could put it
up providing  they dont violate any proprietary issues.  I specifically
asked if that was the case.  But thanks for the clarification.

> If it doesn't contain proprietary parts, and all its contents are freely
> licensed, just find someone who's paid for a copy and dupicate
> it/download it from them.

That is exactly what I was asking.  Thanks again for all your help.

--
Trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com
UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402