[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk - fax - spandsp

tim panton tpanton at attglobal.net
Sun May 15 11:04:07 MST 2005

On 15 May 2005, at 17:26, Steve Underwood wrote:

> Michael Welter wrote:
>

>>> What is in the bug tracker helps make things clearer to people
>>> who know what they are doing. What we need is something that
>>> makes things clear to laymen. Saying internally and externally
>>> clocked doesn't cut it. It needs to be made clear to laymen that
>>> clocking internally is rarely right; that slaving to a PBX, when
>>> there is also a PSTN connection is almost never right; that the
>>> PSTN is the grand master of the telecoms universe, and all
>>> Asterisk boxes should be its slave.
>>>

>> Maybe the confusion is because some pieces of the explanation are
>> being left out.  If you look at the leads on a synchronous RS232
>> interface it is very clear:  Rx clock and Tx clock, and people
>> understand that.  It's not as clear-cut with T1/E1.
>>
>> I'm not the person to explain this, but someone (Rich Adamson
>> perhaps, or a Digium engineer) needs to explain phase-locked loops
>> and the recovery of the timing signal from the data stream.
>> Perhaps understanding that the timing comes from the data stream
>> itself might lead to better understanding.
>>

> Put the term PLL into an explanation, and 99% of the people reading
> will switch off.

I think of it in terms of cost of hardware. The most expensive kit
generally has the
best clock source.

Make a list of all the devices that are talking to your T1/E1 cards,
rank them in order of price - most expensive first.

99 times out of a 100 the one at the top should be use as the
primary clock,
the next one down as secondary etc...

> Regards,
> Steve