[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk - fax - spandsp

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sun May 15 07:34:27 MST 2005

Steve Underwood wrote:

> Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
>
>> On May 15, 2005 03:46 am, Steve Underwood wrote:
>>

>>> Maybe someone should submit a patch which changes the documentation to
>>> something the average person will interpret correctly. It would have
>>> saved me at least a hundred hours of support hassles in the last year.
>>>

>> Someone's already done it:
>>
>> http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=4186
>>

> That is a good move, but it doesn't fix the confusing description of
> what should happen.

I could have made myself clearer.

What is in the bug tracker helps make things clearer to people who know
what they are doing. What we need is something that makes things clear
to laymen. Saying internally and externally clocked doesn't cut it. It
needs to be made clear to laymen that clocking internally is rarely
right; that slaving to a PBX, when there is also a PSTN connection is
almost never right; that the PSTN is the grand master of the telecoms
universe, and all Asterisk boxes should be its slave.

I think my explanations earlier in this thread were fairly explicit, and
I assume Jean-Yves is not an idiot. He still didn't understand what I
intended. This thing needs to be *really* explicit, as I am getting
really sick and tired of people getting it wrong and blaming my software.

Regards,
Steve