[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk - fax - spandsp

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Sun May 15 07:05:58 MST 2005

Steve Underwood wrote:

> Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>
>> Is there any future support for fax in colours? just wondering, I
>> don't think I've ever used it before anyway :)
>

> Priorities:
>    1. T.38
>    2. A more complete T.30
>    3. ECM (which is really a part of 2)
>    4. Things like colour FAX (which in part is part of 2, but requires
> all the compress/decompression and other stuff needed for grey scale
> and colour).

The next HylaFAX release (current CVS HEAD already has it) will have
color fax receiving support in Class 1/1.0... provided that the
prerequisites are met.

As HylaFAX depends on libtiff for it's image file handling color fax
support with HylaFAX requires that libtiff also support color fax image
type.  However, color fax is of a CIELAB JPEG compression, and most
image readers are not going to be able to make sense of the colorspace,
neither can an unpatched libtiff.  Libtiff depends on libjpeg for its
JPEG compression/decompression capabilities, and libjpeg doesn't get
CIELAB JPEG compression either.  So libjpeg must be patched also.
Patches exist for both libtiff and libjpeg for CIELAB JPEG, but as
libjpeg is pretty much at a developmental lock-up, it may be a while
before native releases support it.

As the JPEG itself and the session parameters contain coded information
regarding the page size and formatting, and because ECM must be used for
JPEG communication, it is not necessary for the fax receiver to actually
decode the JPEG image like is required with MMR compression to count the
number of lines.  You can just receive the data and save it to disk -
ECM virtually guarantees that the data is intact.  (However, in the case
of color JPEG, if you expect people to be able to view it, you'll need
to convert it from CIELAB to something more common.)

In sending JPEG faxes the trick is in generating the tagline without
decoding and then reencoding, as JPEG is lossy... you don't want to
corrupt the image.  There are libjpeg patches available to assist in
that endeavor, but as HylaFAX doesn't yet support color fax sending, I
haven't approached that issue.

The other option to color faxing is JBIG compression.  The problem
there, is that JBIG is fairly heavily patented still.  Thus many fax
machines just aren't supporting it yet.

Lee.