[Asterisk-Users] Is there a product to simulate a PRI trunk?

Chris A. Icide chris at netgeeks.net
Fri May 13 13:58:00 MST 2005

On 01:00 PM 5/13/2005, Robert Goodyear wrote:

 >On May 13, 2005, at 12:39 PM, Chris A. Icide wrote:
 >
 >> You should note that while this "works" technically, it won't catch
 >> any issues that you may experience when connecting to other PRI
 >> switches.
 >>
 >> In other words, two asterisk servers connected back to back with a T1
 >> cross-over cable won't tell you that Asterisk's NFAS code doesn't work
 >> with Lucent 5ESS switches, or that Sangoma's code pre-firmware v1.1
 >> and pre-driver beta6 versions won't bring up the D channels when
 >> connected with certain switches.  Everything will work between two
 >> asterisk boxes perfectly.
 >>

 >Right. Which is why I wanted to figure out if there was a way to
 >emulate the particular signaling protocol; in my instance, NI2, to
 >ensure I'm doing all the right things on my end based on what I tell
 >the simulated telco end to impersonate.

There is no way, with an asterisk box to emulate a particular vendor's
switch.  You can always change your signalling type and present different
signalling protocols (asterisk supports quite a few), but you will never be
able to emulate a switch from a different manufacturer, and then of course
you have different firmware and model versions to deal with as well.

I can say from experience that connecting two asterisk boxes back to back
will get you 80% of the way there, when testing for functionality, but you
won't know if you are going to run into a problem until you connect it to
the actual switch hardware you plan to connect.