[Asterisk-Users] Is there a product to simulate a PRI trunk?

Charlie Watts cwatts at mercurypay.com
Fri May 13 13:25:33 MST 2005

Robert Goodyear wrote:
> On May 13, 2005, at 12:39 PM, Chris A. Icide wrote:
>
>> You should note that while this "works" technically, it won't catch
>> any issues that you may experience when connecting to other PRI
>> switches.
>>
>> In other words, two asterisk servers connected back to back with a T1
>> cross-over cable won't tell you that Asterisk's NFAS code doesn't
>> work with Lucent 5ESS switches, or that Sangoma's code pre-firmware
>> v1.1 and pre-driver beta6 versions won't bring up the D channels when
>> connected with certain switches.  Everything will work between two
>> asterisk boxes perfectly.
>>

> Right. Which is why I wanted to figure out if there was a way to
> emulate the particular signaling protocol; in my instance, NI2, to
> ensure I'm doing all the right things on my end based on what I tell
> the simulated telco end to impersonate.

You aren't "emulating" a particular signalling protocol, you're actually
using it. If you plug two *'s back to back, and are configured for NI2,
you can do a "pri debug span foo" and watch it talking PRI.

But what he said: There are interoperability issues. That's not the same
thing. And NI2 is probably the most common protocol out there - a single
T1 to a carrier, using NI2, is about as likely to work as anything.