[Asterisk-Users] * Server

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Thu May 12 20:41:47 MST 2005

On 5/12/05, The VoIP Connection <asterisk-biz at thevoipconnection.com> wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Obviously we can't publish a list of our customers on this or any other news
> group, but if you would like some references we would be happy to provide
> them.  I know some of them are on the list, maybe they will be kind enough
> to share their opinions.
>
> The VS-1 has been performing flawlessly in production at numerous locations
> for over a year now, and it should continue to do so for many more.  The
> reason we don't specify an Asterisk version on our web site and data sheet
> is that the "marketing hype" for the VS-1 pre-dates Version 1.0. The latest
> VS-1 comes with two versions of Asterisk installed:  One is a "stable"
> version (currently 1.0.7), the other is a "development" version which is
> built from CVS head and the occasional assorted patches. The management
> interface allows the administrator to easily select which of the two
> versions of Asterisk ("stable" or "development")they wish to run.  Either
> version can be updated or modified by the administrator should they choose
> to.
>
> Since the door has been opened, I'll offer up a little more "hype":
>
> Unlike some other "turn-key" products, the VS-1 is not an attempt to dumb
> down or obfuscate Asterisk.  It is not impaired or restricted in any way.
> Our web management interface is a layer on top of the standard configuration
> file interface and it does not interfere with or overwrite direct edits to
> the files. The system comes with most of the popular functionality
> pre-configured: voicemail, festival, moh, meetme, FOP, etc. and also
> includes a number of other tools and utilities that ease setup, phone
> provisioning and remote administration.
>
> Like a lot of good technology, the VS-1 is 1% inspiration and 99%
> perspiration.  A significant amount of engineering has gone into this
> unassuming little black box.  It is designed for stability and reliability
> as opposed to ultra high performance, but with limited transcoding it can
> easily handle a full T1 of PRI. It's also pre-configured for several popular
> VoIP service providers and it gets along just fine with a TDM400P card.  We
> stand behind it with a one year replacement warrantee and 30 day money back
> guarantee.

That certainly sounds a lot better than most of these outfits selling
the cheap dell SC420's with asterisk thrown on.

I would think a higher end server with the same type of warranty and
testing would also be in demand, given the number of people who aren't
really sure what hardware works well with asterisk.

Have you used it with any of the E1/T1 cards?

Chris