[Asterisk-Users] Something every TDMP user should know

Mark Johnson asterisk at astroshapes.com
Thu May 12 13:55:43 MST 2005

Damian Funnell wrote:

>    1. Check that the TDMP is on it's own IRQ (much to our
>       embarrassment our card wasn't at the time, so we had to play
>       with it a bit to get it to occupy a unique IRQ).
>    2. Disable hyper threading on the Xeon CPU.
>    3. Uninstall our SCSI hardware and replace it with IDE hardware.
>    4. Upgrade to the latest stable releases of Asterisk, Zaptel and
>       Libpri.
>
> We made changes 1 and 2 in the above list and are prepared to make
> changes 3 and 4 if we find the problem hasn't gone away.  It hasn't
> happened in over two weeks now (after occuring many times per day for
> a while), so we hopefully won't have to throw out our SCSI hardware.
> After we made each change (1 and 2 were made about two weeks apart
> from each other) we found that the quality improved, with the
> incidence of the issue halving after '1' and disappearing (hopefully
> for good) after '2'.  Incidentally the results of zttest *did not*
> noticeably improve after making these changes (it is still below 99.98%).

This is great info.  I am running on an Intel box and attempting to go
to a dual AMD Opteron setup on a Tyan board.  I am not having luck luck
getting my numbers above 99.6%.  I've disabled every hardware gadget and
service not needed and still haven't had much luck.  I'm going to try a
custom kernel as opposed to the stock one's I've tried, but that's been
about 4 different OS's with the same results.  Is there something to
disable on Opteron's that would be the equivalent of disabling
hyperthreading?  Oh, and I even tried setting the pci latencies and it
made no noticeable difference.

Mark