[Asterisk-Users] Cisco contract for 7940/7960 firmware access

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu May 12 11:06:12 MST 2005

asterisk at marnock.net wrote:

> Maybe not the place for this but thought I'd post the info for others.
>  I purchased a cisco 7960 off ebay and needed to convert to SIP for *.
>  I know * supports SCCP but I wont go into that here.  I'd read on
> voip-info.org that a contract could be purchased for approx $8 to allow
> me to download the firmware.  I though, being in the UK, i'd get one
> through a reseller in the UK.  What a shock!  Apparently, the $8 ( £5 )
> contract is no longer available and the cheapest contract they provide
> with firmware download access is about £56 ( $104 ).

Yup, that's the way it goes unfortunately.. Cisco are into price gouging
in a big way.

It took me nearly 2 months to get the contract setup as well (& a nasty
email to the dealer who was clearly only interested in the 'big'
contracts to give mine any time).

They ask for your serial number - if you're not the first user of the
phone (mine was boxed/sealed when I bought it) then they may try to get
another £150 dollars for a software license too.

Tony