[Asterisk-Users] Best CPU config for dual-Xeon?

Damian Funnell damian.funnell at fff.co.nz
Thu May 12 09:25:58 MST 2005

Hi Tony, check out my recent post regarding our experiences with
Hyperthreading and * with Zaptel cards.

We have a few machines in the wild that *do* run Hyperthreading but no
Zaptel cards and these work absolutely fine.  My understanding is that
the Hyperthreading problems are purely related to HW interrupts with Zaptel.

My advice would be to leave HT turned on and just turn it off if you
have problems with it - something that takes are few seconds in the BIOS
and doesn't require any software changes.  HT does provide significant
performance improvements over non-HT... performance that could come in
handy if your * server has a lot of calls in progress (and hence a lot
of CODEC's to process).

Cheers,
Damian.

FFF Managed Technology Ltd