[Asterisk-Users] VoiceBlue GSM

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Thu May 12 07:20:12 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 17:31 +0400, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> >2-) You can buy a voip2GSM Gateway. To which you no longer need hardware, you
> >just register the voip2GSM devise to Asterisk and then it is ready to receive
> >and send calls just like any other sip phone. Cost of this is around 400 USD /
> >UNIT
> >

> That is interesting. What is the make and the model that you are
> referring to? Is there a website with more info?
>
> I currently use Quescom IP400 GSM but they are expensive (although they
> support up to 12 GSM channels).

Can these GSM modules work as proxies so when you are local your GSM
handset can be used on the VoIP network?  When you walk away from the
nanocell/picocell transmitter it autoswitches to the real provider.

The way GSM auth works this technically would not be that difficult to
do, and infact there is equipment that does not interface to anything
that does proxy call setup/tear down info (IMSI catchers for example),
so what I am asking for is not that far out.

This would also make it easier for call shops, set up one of these and
people can use their mobile as a voip phone.  In the office your GSM
calls are sent to asterisk to your desk phone and/or your mobile,
outbound calls go over asterisk for least cost routing, etc.  But the
handset is your mobile (and in theory on your person at all times).

If anyone knows of a device that integrates to asterisk that does that I
would *greatly* appreciate hearing from you regarding a vendor,
make/model, even a supplier.  If you are a supplier I grant you
permission to use my contact info to directly contact me about that
issue only so long as you dont add me to any lists.

Thanks

--
Trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com
UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402