[Asterisk-Users] Satellite Providers

Bill Ford bill.w5waf at gmail.com
Wed May 11 17:56:10 MST 2005

Even though radio travels "very fast" ...300,000 km/s (186,000 mph)
the speed is finite. As I said In my previous post...the satellite is
located 34,500 km (22,500 mi.) above the equator. That makes for a
round trip of 75,000 km (45,000 mi). Even at the speed of light, this
makes for a significant delay!)

Bill

On 5/11/05, Michael D Schelin <mike at shelcomm.com> wrote:
> The delay in the air is minor. Radio travels very fast through the air.
> Almost at the speed of light. It's the electronics that are causing the
> delays.  The less electronics touching your signal the better.   The up and
> down is very fast.  But then you have all the converts and the land line
> links to factor in.  Microwave also has delays such as the Motorola
> equipment which is only half duplex.  This will also incress the time.  Max
> is right, check into some ground based systems.
>

> Max W Blackmer Jr wrote:
> Satellite delays are always bad. It is more a delay because of the time
it
> takes a signal to travel to the satellite and back to a receiving
station.
> You might want to check into ground station to station
microwave
> communications stations. The best is to have a tap to a phone
company that
> may have cell towers in the area.

Cheers,

Max