[Asterisk-Users] Satellite Providers

Asterisk asterisk at govarion.com
Wed May 11 15:50:35 MST 2005

Aparantly Light Travels Faster in your world than it does in mine.  As an example, A new Satellite that was launched Just a few days ago (April 26) is in orbit at 22,300 MILES above earth.  Assuming that both ends of the transmission are directly below the Satellite (Which they will not normally be, adding even a few more percentage points of distance to this calculation); the total round trip distance is 44,600 MILES.  Again, Assuming a perfect world where humans didn't need to breathe or be protected from UV and other cosmic rays which would allow us the opportunity of moving light at 186,000 miles per second, that means that the time IN ONE DIRECTION to get data from point a to point b with absolutely NO 'electronic' delays would be
44,600 Miles / 186,000 Miles/Sec = 240ms.

PING Time would be double that, or about 480ms

Seems that John Dunham only has 50ms (OR LESS) of 'electronic' delay in his VSAT Links (And again, that assumes that both point a and point b are DIRECLTY under the satellite, which I doubt they are), and that sounds like a relatively small percentage of the total delay when compared to 480 ms of 'through the air' time.

Best Regards,
Ben Bawkon

>The delay in the air is minor. Radio travels very fast through the air. Almost at the speed of light. It's the electronics that are causing the delays.  The less electronics touching your signal the better.   The up and down is very fast.  But then you have all the converts and the land line links to factor in.  Microwave >also has delays such as the Motorola equipment which is only half duplex.  This will also incress the time.  Max is right, check into some ground based systems.

>Max W Blackmer Jr wrote:

>>Satellite delays are always bad.  It is more a delay because of the time
>>it takes a signal to travel to the satellite and back to a receiving
>>station.  You might want to check into ground station to station
>>microwave communications stations. The best is to have a tap to a phone
>>company that may have cell towers in the area.

>>Cheers,

>>Max

This message was checked by MailScan for WorkgroupMail.
www.govarion.com