[Asterisk-Users] softphone buzzing

Davin O'Neill doneill at mitre.org
Wed May 11 13:02:26 MST 2005

I am running Asterisk on our LAN with Cisco IP phones and softphone clients,
SJPhone and Firefly.  Everything on our LAN works fine and the quality is
good.  We have recently registered other callers not on our LAN who are
using SJPhone and Firefly as well.  The audio quality is fine, but I
consistently hear a buzzing sound in the background.  We have experimented
with the line in and microphone volume settings.  Turning it down helped
some, however the background buzzing is still there.  I've experimented with
both softphone clients, different codecs and protocols (SIP and IAX2).  The
buzzing does go away when he mutes his SJPhone client.  I'm thinking it
might be a bad sound card or a bad headset connections.  Any advice would be
appreciated.

Thanks!