[Asterisk-Users] Voicemail Passwords

Jeff Heath jheath1 at optonline.net
Wed May 11 09:43:28 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 21:25, BJ Weschke wrote:
>  voicemail.conf
>
>  edit that file and issue a reload to change them.

I tried this, but I still can't get access to voicemail from one of the
phones.

This is a test system that I setup about a month ago.  Got busy and am
just now getting back to it.  I have 2 SIP phones and the Asterisk
server.  The default voicemail password is 1234 for both extensions.  I
changed the password for one of them and (doh!) forgot/lost it.

Since this is a test system, I tried an experiment.  I went into the
phone where I can get access to voicemail, and I manually changed the
password from 1234 to 4567.  Then I issued a reload (the default
passwords in voicemail.conf are 1234).  Then I accessed voicemail again,
and the password is 4567 not 1234.

This makes sense to me.  Otherwise, every time asterisk was restarted or
reloaded all the user's personal voicemail passwords would be reset.
Surely, I'm not the first dope that's changed a password and forgot it
:-)

I can't believe there's not a file somewhere that the administrator can
directly edit to change user voicemail passwords, but I've been
searching the Wiki and googling on lists.digium.com and searched all the
Asterisk documentation I can find and I can't find it.

So, how does the administrator reset a user's password?

fyi, here are my extensions.conf and voicemail.conf

extensions.conf

[general]
static = yes
writeprotect = yes

[from-sip]
exten => 4035,1,Dial(SIP/4035,20)
exten => 4035,2,Voicemail(u4035)
exten => 4035,102,Voicemail(b4035)
exten => 4035,103,Hangup

exten => 4009,1,Dial(SIP/4009,20)
exten => 4009,2,Voicemail(u4009)
exten => 4009,102,Voicemail(b4009)
exten => 4009,103,Hangup

; This defines the number to access VM.
; The caller's extension number is passed as a variable, so
; all the user needs to do is type in the password.
exten => 4040,1,VoicemailMain(${CALLERIDNUM})

[local]
include => from-sip

voicemail.conf

[general]