[Asterisk-Users] Multiple Calls with Asterisk?

Tim Litwiller tim at litwiller.net
Mon May 9 21:47:05 MST 2005

Jim Lists wrote:
> Hi All,
> Please excuse my newbie questions, but figured this would be the best
> place to ask. I have been reading up on VOIP and implementing Asterisk
> as a PBX. I'm still left wondering if Asterisk supports multiple lines
> at once? If I had one land line, voip line, and asterisk setup and 10
> people called my number, would all 10 people be able to speak to their
> appropriate party at the same time, or would the other 9 get a busy
> signal?

Unless you had a voip service that allowed that many incoming calls and
also setup a busy redirect on your land line they would get a busy signal.

Also, could this work with outgoing calls?

Again depends on if your voip service allows that many calls on the same
account at the same time.

If this DOES work,
> can anyone explain how it works? More importantly, at what point does
> the analog line move to the VOIP line, and how is the connection
> maintained?

Your pstn land line can only handle 1 call at a time

To handle more at the same number you need a rollover or busy redirect.
Then you could forward the next calls to another number. Either more
land lines or a voip provider number.

I'm sure I'm "nuking" this out, but I'm still trying to