[Asterisk-Users] cisco 7960 firmware

Giudice, Salvatore Salvatore.Giudice at FMR.COM
Mon May 9 12:53:14 MST 2005

BTW, if anyone is having problems upgrading to the 7.x versions of
firmware, you could seek answers in the following doc from cisco:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_ipphon/english/i
pp7960/addprot/mgcp/frmwrup.htm#wp1046556

Here's a snippet describing the app loader:
##
Universal Application Loader
The universal application loader allows for additional phone features to
be added across all protocols. This feature also eliminates the need for
a separate OS79XX.TXT file, which used to be required for booting
between protocols.

The universal application loader operates in a manner very similar to
the older SCCP, SIP, and MGCP systems. It relies on a TFTP server to
supply information in text files known as "configuration files." The
information in these files points to a new loads file, which contains
the names of the desired application image and universal application
loader. This system allows the universal application loader to know
which image revision is desired in the phone. Once this information is
known, the phone has the ability to upgrade itself and the application
image as needed.

The universal application loader allows the system administrator to use
SCCP, SIP, and MGCP, on the same network. To do this, a hunt algorithm
is employed that searches for multiple configuration files. Depending on
which configuration file is found first, the phone will automatically
select that protocol. The hunt algorithm ensures that the administrator
can assign a specific protocol to a specific phone. The hunt algorithm
searches for files in the following order:

1. CTLSEP MAC File-For example, CTLSEP003094C25D2E.tlv. See the "Secure
and Nonsecure Configuration" section.

2. SEP MAC File-For example, SEP003094C25D2E.cnf.xml.

3. SIP MAC File-For example, SIP003094C25D2E.cnf.

4. MGCP MAC File-For example, MGC003094C25D2E.cnf.

5. XML Default File-For example, XMLDefault.cnf.xml.

6. SIP Default File-For example, SIPDefault.cnf.

7. MGCP Default File-For example, MGCDefault.cnf.

The universal application loader is also capable of searching multiple
servers to find the configuration files, using DHCP, manual settings,
and Domain Name System (DNS). The configuration file can also contain a
dynamic_tftp address, which will force the phone to use a different
server.

If the universal application loader exhausts all possible servers and
still cannot find any configuration files, it will assume that the
application image in flash memory is correct and will launch it. If it
cannot find an application image in flash memory, it will stop and
display " No Load Specified" on the screen.

The loads file contains the universal application loader and the
application image, as well as an LA_VERSION command (used to determine
if the universal application loader needs to be upgraded). The universal
application loader is identified by its extension (.sbn), which
indicates that it is signed. The signed application image is identified
by a .sb2 extension. The loads file itself is also signed and has a
.loads extension.

The universal application loader for SIP and MGCP is delivered in a zip
file that is posted to Cisco.com. For SCCP, the universal application
loader is automatically installed as part of the executable phone_load
install wrapper used on the Cisco CallManager.

The zip file for SIP and MGCP contains five files:

*OS79XX.TXT-This file will now always contain the universal application
loader image.

*P003.........bin-Nonsecure universal application loader for upgrades
from pre-5.x images.

*P003.........sbn-Secure universal application loader for upgrades from
images 5.x or later.

*P0a3.........loads-File that contains the universal application loader
and application image, where "a" represents the protocol of the
application image loads file: 0 for SCCP, S for SIP, and M for MGCP.

*P0a3.........sb2-Application firmware image, where "a" represents the
application firmware image: 0 for SCCP, S for SIP, and M for MGCP.

--------

Note The [....] above are used for representing the naming convention
for the universal application loader. This image should not need to be
changed. (This image is not associated with the application firmware
image.) For example, a SIP zip file would have the following naming
convention: OS79XX.TXT, P003.........bin, P003........sbn,
P0S3-xx-y-zz.loads, and P0S3-xx-y-zz.sb2. An MGCP zip file would have
the following naming convention: OS79XX.TXT, P003.........bin,
P003........sbn, P0M3-xx-y-zz.loads, and P0M3-xx-y-zz.sb2. Notice that
the universal application loader always maintains an SCCP naming
convention but is not tied to a particular protocol.

The *.loads and filenames *.sb2 are based on the protocol that is used;
each zip file will display these two differently.